Wednesday, August 17, 2011

37th week - Twin girls and the role of the Father


Unbelievably we reached the 37th week.  The girls are now 5.5lbs and 5.7lbs.  Neilynne want the twins to move out, now!  Tomorrow is their due date and I don’t think they like that birth date just like the other ones that past.  In any case, our life either begins or ends, depending on the way you look at things.  Induction date is booked for next week and I will graduate to become a father. 

I can’t help but think, what type of father will I be?  Surely not like my Dad, a great dictator in his own right.  His way was the only way.  Sure, there will be times where I probably will become a dictator and force them to do math, piano and extra homework, (it’s just the Chinese way) but my parenting style will differ than my parents.  It has to because times have changed and they didn’t raise two girls.

Being the only male figure in the household, other than our dog Brix, what is the role of the father when raising two girls?  I would venture to say it is important to show them how men should behave, especially when it comes to the opposite sex.  The way I act with my wife, with other people, with the dog....it will be scrutinized everyday.  You think I’m kidding?  This is serious stuff.  They will carry this on for the rest of their lives.  They will formulate an expectation of men and it all starts with Dad.  It’s almost like they will date boys similar to their Dad.  Ewww sounds insane right?  There is some truth to it I think.  Ne many times before have said….”well my Dad does this for my Mom, so you should do the same for me…”  The father plays an important role in the development of his daughters’ view of men.

If I were having two boys, I would teach them how to be a man and what it means to be a man in this society.  I grew up as a man, so I could relate.  For girls, it’s different.  I have no idea.  I didn’t have a sister either.  I can only imagine being a girl in this society is tough.  Self-image, self-confidence, self-worth are some challenges that come to my mind.  Not to mention being aware of the perverse behaviour of some sicko men.  Walking alone in the night is a definite no no.  All I know is, if I raise two confident girls, who are able to make logical decisions, and have good reason, I’ll be happy. 

Let’s come back to reality now.  I haven’t reached step 1 and I’m thinking of step 100.  It’s typical of Aquarians.  Again, here we are at the 37th week with at most one more week.  Somebody bring me dorito chips when you come visit us at the hospital.  The first taste of chips after 8 months without it is going to be amazing!  Don’t get regular chips either.  I’ll be mad.  7 days left….see you on the flip side.           





No comments:

Post a Comment