Friday, June 10, 2011

Who will be the “girly-girl” and who will be the “tomboy? - Ne's blog

Being the only daughter of my parents... i always knew that i would have no choice but to wear the dresses i was given from my mom and lola (not to mention the hand-me-downs i received from my ate donna).  When i was a kid... i didn’t have a problem wearing the dresses my mom chose for me b/c most of them i really liked (especially  my pink dress that had both stripes and polka dots... sigh... if i still had my most favourite dress i would definitely be giving it to the girls... sigh... if only).  But as i hit my double digits... i started to butt heads with my mom because i didn’t want to wear the black and red dress to church or i didn’t want to wear the flowered dress to the anniversary party.  So i can definitely say that btw the ages of 10 to 16 i hated to wear dresses... whether it was for church, a wedding or any kind of occasion.  My mom figured this was when i hit my tomboy phase. 
My tomboy phase was all about jeans, jordans and no dresses!  I was perfectly happy wearing jogging pants & my Jordan VI... and i was proud of it!  Most girls my age were playing “house” and learning ballet & jazz... instead i was “borrowing” my kuya’s GI Joes and WWF wrestlers and beating up boys in taekwondo school J.  Funny too b/c i was probably the only girl i knew from my elementary school that was doing martial arts... but i was so proud of that fact.  In fact i liked it!  I enjoyed doing kicking drills and sparring against the boys... it was fun!  But the “tomboy” phase only lasts for so long.
Soon... i started experimenting with makeup and i wanted to grow my hair out (i even permed it at the end of grade 6... that was a huge mistake that i will never do again).  I stopped wanting to just wear pants... i wanted to wear skirts and dresses again.  By this time... i became a “girl” again.
Now that i am an adult and about to become a first time mother... i’d like to think that my own experience will help me raise 2 girls in this world... but it is a different world out there now.  I worry about not only the clothing they wear but about the people they will become and the choices they make.  Hopefully, jay and i will be able to instil what our parents have instilled in us... i hope they will become good members of society... that they will be respectful towards their elders but respect themselves as well.  I wish them to be good people... but mainly jay and i want to instil in them that nothing in life comes easy... that you have to work extremely hard for what u want... and that even if you fail... you fail forward as opposed to failing back.  This is one of the most valuable lessons that i learned as a young adult and even today i am continuing to work hard so that i am able to give my girls what is important in life. 
So i don’t worry about which of my girls will be the “tomboy” or who will be the “girly-girl”... what’s most important to me is that they enjoy plainly “being a girl”.  Cause right now this mama-to-be is enjoying shopping a little too much for tons of “girly-girl” clothes... so much so i can’t stop... but i will blog about that during my next guest blog... hehehe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment